Stress is hazardous to our Mental and Physical health. Today when children are facing Board Exams many of them are not able to cope up with the exam pressures and may get stressed. This leads them to DIS-STRESS and they complain of many physical and psychological problems. They tend to feel a heightened degree of fear, irritation, memory lapses etc. Parents need to be vigilant for these signs of stress in their child and to give him a lot of emotional support, love, empathy and compassion .
How can you detect, if your child is in stress? There are some important symptoms which the child may complain of. Parents need to be aware and take proper care. You may take professional help from a psychologist if the symptoms persist.
- Sleep difficulties—TOO MUCH OR TOO LITTLE SLEEP
- Rapid heartbeat
- Rapid shallow breathing
- Frequent urination or visits to the bathroom
- Change in appetite—too much or no appetite
- constipation or diarrhea
- Body Cramps
- Breathlessness or Asthamatic attack
- Frequent irritation, frustration, anger spells, aggression
- Feeling mentally exhausted
- Forgetfulness/ absent minded/panic attacks
- Headaches, fainting spells, vomiting,nausea
- Wanting to be alone/unusually quiet
- Gloomy or suspicious, being constantly frightened/crying
- Inability to concentrate OR REMEMBER
- Major changes in eating or sleeping habits
- Lack of attention and concentration/memory lapses
- Inability to make study plans
- Staying out longer, stop communicating with the parents
- Increased disinterest in studies; Seeing more TV or more phone use
At this point of time it is also imperative for parents to be vigilant for signs of DEPRESSION in their child This may need Medicines and Counseling. Psychiatric assessment is needed if :
The symptoms of HOPELESSNESS WORTHLESSNESS HELPLESSNESS AND GUILT persist for more than 2 weeks continuously along with an inability to do normal daily routine work.
If a child stays out for long periods, away from home, is depressed, talks of death or suicidal thoughts or attempts it—then this is an emergency and the parents should NOT TAKE IT LIGHTLY and immediately consult a Psychiatrist for medical help.